Tuesday 3 September 2013

When can I start feeding my baby adult Nigerian food?

A lot of babies start demanding Nigerian food from as early as 6 months and a lot of mothers are worried that it is too early to feed baby these foods at such a tender age.my son started with noddles at exactly 6 month.
As usual, I'll answer this question from my personal experience. So this is NOT a professional advice. Your babies' pediatrician should have the final say in everything concerning their health and well-being. most of this advice came from my mom :)

Rice 
Mash the rice with your fingers and feed your baby. - Make sure the rice is cooked till very soft. I know some families like to eat what I call "half-done" rice. LOL If it is the case in your family then you'll need to cook his own rice separately and cook it till so soft that you can easily mash it with your fingers. At first the baby will not even finish 1 tablespoon of rice.

Swallow foods (Semolina, Garri etc & Soups)
 At first, I used my index finger to put soup in him mouth. I did this when eating my own semolina. I gave him all the different soups that I ate so he could get used to the different tastes. -
Then after about 2 weeks of giving him only soups, I started giving him very tiny lumps (more like smears than lumps) of semolina. This time I started with Ogbono Soup (Draw Soup) and Okra Soup because they're the easiest for kids to swallow with. With Okra, I used only the liquid in the soup, avoiding the tiny bits of Okra because they were very challenging for him. To start with, he did not even finish half of one small lump of semolina that an adult can swallow in one go.
You don't have to follow the above to the letter. You should let your child dictate the pace at which you go
Yam & Potatoes 
Boil yam, Irish or sweet potatoes, add Beef Stew, mash and you have a baby friendly
Pepper
We do not eat a lot of pepper in my family so at 8 months, my son could handle the pepper in our meals. But if you eat a lot of pepper in your family, then when cooking the food, remove your baby's portion before adding pepper. Too much pepper will upset your baby's tender stomach.
Due to all of the above, my son enjoys Nigerian food (infact any cooked meal)

Remember:
These foods will not be a replacement for milk and cereal. You should still give your baby the same amount of milk and cereal he eats in a day while giving him these adult foods. Infact I do this till my baby is at least 2 years old.
You can apply the above ideas to most adult Nigerian food to convert them to baby food, all you need is mash them and give the baby plenty of water while feeding him. It does not have to be exactly the consistency of cereal because you should aim to gradually introduce new textures of food to your baby as he/she grows.
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment